Thursday, December 30, 2021

Journey to the Nether (and better reading comprehension)

Normally Custom Fabric marinates in my stash for a bit before I work up the nerve to sew it, but not this print! 


My 9-year-old daughter is shifting away from custom made makes, but she loves Minecraft, so for this print she made an exception. I, of course, had a ton of great ideas for fun, feminine shirts with this print, but all she wanted was a hoodie. So, Max & Meena's Max raglan it was, then.


Fortunately she's got a Minecraft buddy who's a little more flexible on feminine clothing. So for her friend (not pictured), I was able to stick to my original plan and make a CKC Delaney.


Apparently I was overdue for a really big sewing mistake, because while making this top I mistook the "normal back" neckline for the front neckline, and carried that mistake all the way to the finished product. You would *think* that having a too-long neckband would have clued me in to the problem but... having had other issues with other CKC patterns before, you would be wrong. I've used this pattern to modify dresses before, but this was my first time following the instructions as written. I didn't really figure out what happened until I stick the shirt on my daughter to model, and by then it was hours before the party we had planned to gift it at: too late for a remake, sigh.


Ah well, you win some, you lose some. The friend was still happy to receive the gift despite the flaws, and I do still think it's a cute design! Definitely a make-again, but next time I will read the instructions more carefully.


No comments:

Post a Comment