Thursday, December 2, 2021

A Tradition Broken

One of my most honored Christmas Traditions for... the past decade, as it turns out, is to *dream* about finishing my Christmas Traditions quilt but then... not actually do it. This quilt sprang to a start in 2011 when I sent my sewing machine in for service, and then caved on the fabric for this pattern in a Best Quilts for Christmas Magazine. 

I pieced it in 2013 and 2014, and I don't even *know* when I started quilting it... but I do know my Mom has been on me to try out her Handi-Quilter for a couple of years, and I have resisted. This year, however, when we were packing for that June trip I discovered I had extra space in my checked luggage and so, in true last-minute fashion I caved and I brought it. Yes, I submitted my massive multi-year quilting effort to the whims of Airport Luggage Personnel. Twice, even. Fortunately for me, United Airlines brought me and my bags out AND home safe.


I'd already done maybe 2/3 of the quilting on my regular machine at home, but the idea of finishing it in one sitting proved too appealing to resist. I'd never worked with a "Medium-Arm" machine, but it does seem like a practical way to marry the spaciousness of a long-arm with the freedom of free-motion quilting. All I had left to do was the outer third. I used my mom's technique of putting dry-eras marker on sheet protectors to "try out" my design, and I settled for loops and squiggles.


Here I am working the quilt. The handi-quilter is definitely nice to work with: it's got lots of space and good speed control. There was definitely a learning curve on threading it - I'm glad Mom was there to help with that - but overall it went WAY faster than quilting on a traditional machine, and with a lot less wrestling of the fabric. Here's my mom's account of the adventure.

It only took me a few hours (well, maybe four or so) to finish on the Handi-Quilter. Below, you can see my final design:


Next up is binding this creation; and this year, I'm actually optimistic that I will have it done by Christmas! Wish me luck...

1 comment:

  1. So,so pleased to see this post. I am certain you will have it finished in 2021! A few inches of binding at a sitting will go by quickly.

    ReplyDelete