Monday, November 28, 2011

A Quilted Basket of Joy!

I finished quilting it this weekend! Basket of Joy is currently laying on my couch, binding machine-stitched to the front and partially hand-sewed on the back. I am really happy with the way it turned out - imperfect as they are my flowers led to a very pleasing overall effect, and when I drew out the "inward arcs" suggested by Token Asian Friend, I was very thrilled to see that they actually framed the quilt in a number of half (and three-quarters) circles.

Flowers and Half Circles, up close

Of course, once I started sewing my binding on, I realized that the margins on the edge of my quilt were too thin, and the binding was going to at least in part obscure the circle effect. So, with my quilt literally hanging off the machine (and maybe 5 feet of binding already stitched to the front) I took some pictures to record the neat effect of this design.

3/4 circles on the corner
Overall Pattern


Next time? More excess fabric on the sides.

Overall Pattern in Corner
Although I am sure that even without the (obvious) semicircle frame, my niece will love it. I can't wait to see her face when my brother-in-law gets back!

Made with love, imperfections and all

2 comments: