Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Moda Basketweave

Me and My Sister Designs is one of my favorite fabric designers. The Savage Quilter in OKC has a really HUGE selection of their stuff, and I always spend... far too long there drooling over the adorable fabrics in bright, bright colors. So really, it was just a matter of time before I caved on some cut goods by them from Etsy:

Me and My Sister Designs "Favorites" Jelly Roll by Moda
I mean, really. How can anyone resist the cuteness? Bright, cheery colors, Polka dots and flowers... it's like they had me in mind when they made it. I also caved on this gorgeous fabric from TSQ, to use for sashing and backing:

"Happy" and "Dilly Dally" by Me and My Sister

Of course... I did all this, and then I realized I didn't know what to DO with a Jelly Roll. I'd seen Jelly roll races, which are cute but a little simplistic for my tastes. I bought this pattern from Quilter's Corner in Midwest City:

Popsicle Sticks Jelly Roll Quilt pattern by Atkinson Designs

But eventually decided that what made it work so well in the picture was *probably* all the similarly textured Batiks. I looked at a lot of stuff (including books) that all seemed to complicated, or too simple. Finally, it was actually Google to the rescue: while Googling "free jelly roll quilt patterns" I saw and fell in love with this Basketweave design:

"Jelly Roll Quilt" from Fabric Freedom in the UK
It's simple enough that I don't need a pattern to see what's going on, and the diagonal adds an element of fun that makes it stand out from previous quilts I've done. I did manage to find a picture of it done NOT in Batiks and it also looked good, so... It appears I have a plan!

Next up was sewing the strips...

1 comment:

  1. I'm obsessed with the colors and textures in the blue quilt using the fabric freedom pattern from the uk. It doesn't seem to be available anymore (link is dead). Do you still have that pattern? Will you email? If I'm begging? 😃

    ReplyDelete