Friday, January 21, 2022

Christmas Train Set Complete!

After completing the Halloween Shirt for my brother with... 2 weeks to spare, I decided it was probably wise to get a leg up on Christmas. This particular artwork has already been featured on a shirt for my dad and a shirt for my brother, but I wanted to get my Mom in on the action. I had a package going to her house anyway, and I'd been hoarding this fabric for about 2 years.


To make this holiday beauty I chose the Patterns for Pirates Basic (Now Favorite) Tee. I had already test-driven the pattern once for Mom's Small World Top, but this time I elected to go with 3/4 sleeves for the winter. I only had one yard of the double border print to work with, so I had to be particularly careful with my fussy cutting. Fortunately the pieces *just barely* interlocked without any overage on my 58" wide fabric. For the sleeves I used a PurpleSeamstress Solid. 

Overall, I was very happy with the way this turned out - initially I worried that the "featured" part of the print didn't go high enough (it's a 14" border an my mother is 5'4"), but my mother accessorized with a nice necklace and the height of the print was perfect. I also really liked the effect of the contrast sleeves - it really makes the train pop, and it differentiates the look from all the storebought stuff out there.


This tee went out in October 2021 alongside my brother's Halloween tee, but it took a month or two before the timing was right to wear it. Here my mom is sporting her new Christmas tee alongside my Dad, whose train shirt I made in 2019. Quite the matched set! Next year we'll see if we can nab a picture with my brother in the shot as well.

1 comment:

  1. Aw...that's such a great picture of the two of them in their matching shirts! And it makes it even better than the shirts were both handmade by you. Great job!

    ReplyDelete