Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Holidays in June

My Dad loves Harry Potter, Trains, Stamps, and Disney; and as it turns out, he also loves shirts made by me! Over the past 2 years I've made him two shirts: an "Always" Shirt and a Magical Gift shirt. Both were Harry Potter themed, so this year it was time to branch out.

This print featured not one, but two of my Dad's favorite fandoms: Trains, and Disney. Technically it's a Christmas print. But even if Dad does only take it out for a few months of the year, he'll still have twice the fun wearing it, right?


I've had a previous success with the short-sleeved version of the Peek-a-Boo Patterns Yukon. It's a men's dress shirt with a back yoke, which makes it flexible when cutting. I am a devoted fussycutter, and this shirt was no exception - a lot of work went into making sure the tracks lined up, the sleeves didn't end mid-train, etc etc.


My one fussycutting oversight the collar - it'd been so worried about making sure the trains went *around* my Dad's neck, I forgot that with the collar has a collar stand. Technically if Dad buttons his top button, the trains will circle his neck perfectly, but they'll also be upside down. Ooops. Fortunately, my Dad is retired and as he puts it he "never has to button a top button again."


I gifted this shirt to my Dad for Father's day 2019; I know it'll be a little bit before it is seasonally appropriate, but he was in town and I was excited to show off his new gift.


And who knows, maybe he'll wear it to his train club meetings anyways. He definitely looks sharp in it! He confirmed that the bright blue was a really good call, and was delighted to find Donald (his favorite of the Disney Fab 5) waiting for him in the caboose.


And I'm delighted that he's got another, non-Harry Potter shirt from me to wear. So excited, in fact, that I splurged on fabric for a matching shirt for my Mom.


Here's looking forward to a VERY well dressed, homemade Christmas!

2 comments:

  1. Well I think that visiting Disney at Christmastime is now mandatory (while wearing this shirt, of course). I bet your Dad is still beaming with pride and joy from this very thoughtful gift and project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fussy-cutting extraordinaire! I can attest from the photos I took while I was there and in person examination of the shirt that is now here, that indeed even the side seams match up so the trains encircle his torso uninterrupted. And the vertical spacing of the trains between the yoke and the shirt body is also precise. Dad loves, loves, LOVES the shirt and especially that you made it for him.

    ReplyDelete