Wednesday, January 5, 2022

A Wild Rumpus

This summer, I had 3 nephews on the way, and I sewed for them with great enthusiasm. But they day my previous pastor posted on Facebook that she was having a girl well... on the one hand I'd already done a lot of baby sewing complete with tiny cuffs. But on the other hand... most of my friends and family have declared their families complete. So I could not pass up one of the limited opportunities I had left to sew an infant dress. 

 
One of the things that first brought me to custom fabrics was the allure of taking "masculine" prints (see: Walking Dead, Zombies, Sharks) and making feminine things with them. I'm a female engineer, so I'm not a fan of the fashion industry's tendency to divide not just silhouettes and colors, but also *subjects* (cats, puppies, trucks, etc) into the male and the female. When I saw this "Where the Wild Things Are" print, I knew it needed to go to a little girl.


To complete this particular wild rumpus, I opted for a "Magic Blanket", an SLPCo Isla, a pair of Chicka Chicka Bum Bums to go under it. New this time was the Violette Fields Threads Lelani Knit Headband.
 

The headband was a quick sew, although I did size down on the bow a bit, and the bow is not double-sided so the fabric for it needs to be if it's going to look right. Fabric was from Wanderlust, with solids from Purpleseamstress. This was gifted in August 2021, and I've seen pictures in the baby's Facebook feed, so I know it's being loved!

No comments:

Post a Comment