Thursday, November 18, 2021

Disney Trip... do the Princess whip!

I'm a huge Disney fan, but the truth is, living in the midwest we don't get to go the "Kingdom of Mouse" nearly as often as I would like to. I accumulate a lot of vacation fabric, but then in the throes of vacation planning, I don't get to sew nearly as much as I would like. However, when my *friends* go to Disney Land or Disney World...

In March, a friend booked a last-minute trip to the Magic Kingdom. Her daughter was aged three, the perfect size for a little scrap busting. So, on a lark I made a copy of the Happiest Dress (Details in the linked post) with leftover scraps.


And when that was done, I still had time for another. So I tried a new, more princess-y look based on the  SLPCo Isla, and using scraps left over from a shower gift for my husband's coworker.  


To create this look I started with the Isla Bodice and added an inch to the bodice height, then added 1/2" to the sleeve length. This was mostly so the double skirt would not have to be so long, but also because the wearer is long-waisted. Then for the bottom I cut out two circle skirts - a plain one that was regular length (minus one inch to compensate for bodice height) and one that I mathed out to be 1/3 of the first skirt's length. This "golden ratio" keeps the skirts looking proportionate.

Putting it all together, I had a big, "fluffy" dress that took a little while to hem, but otherwise was pretty darn quick. It was a huge hit at the park, and even though my family wasn't going, my friend got to give this lovely princess fabric the "park tour."

1 comment:

  1. My, what a diva designer you are! That dress with the peplum is super cute and very inventive. It is amazing what you manage to do with "scraps".

    ReplyDelete