Thursday, August 22, 2019

A World of Fussing

When I first ordered this lovely fabric, my nephew W was still (technically) a baby. Woven doesn't stretch, so I bought knit for him rather than stick him with a stiff  garment he could only wear for 3 months. At the time, I thought maybe I'd make him a Max Raglan (fast & easy) but then my OTHER nephew (he of gamer parents) started coming around in rompers.  One look at *that* cuteness, and I instinctively shifted gears.


I have not had *great* luck with Brindille & Twig patterns, but there's just no beating their sense of style. I'm far enough along in my sewing journey that even though their construction methods drive me nuts, I can usually fix things on the fly. I chose the Polo Romper because I could easily see a collar that would match the girls' dresses, and lots of room to show off the main elements of the featured print.


This romper was all over the place to construct, but I am pleased with how it turned out. The placket came out great once I got past confusingly photographed (but decently described) instructions, and the pattern called for a bunch of bands with raw edges at the arms and legs so I altered it.


All in all, I am really impressed with how nicely the collar came out. For the placket and bottom closures I used Kam Snaps.  I ended up sending extras to my brother, because I don't entirely trust them, but they sure do look nice.


As does the final outfit! I did have a bunch of fun fussycutting for the tower on front and the rainbow on back, this is easily the nicest collar I have ever pieced together in my entire life (sorry Dad, it's not for lack of trying). So how does it look next to the other two? Check back tomorrow to see.

1 comment:

  1. That collar and placket did come out strikingly perfect. And I love the clock tower on the tummy - so cute. Fantastic job once again.

    ReplyDelete