Tuesday, August 13, 2019

An Inner Child Indulged

After making that Rainbow Brite Dress for my daughter, I think it took me all of 3 days to wonder why SHE got to have all the fun. Fortunately, the fabric I used came in two scales, and I'd picked them both up. The Striped Swallow Desert Breeze is available in Girls and Womens' sizes, so it was a logical jump to make a coordinating "mom" outfit for me!


Fortunately, the large scale was about perfect, and I had plenty of the coordinate left over from my daughter's dress. For myself I used both the Desert Breeze Women's pattern, and the Slim Fit Add-on;  I did size the Add-on up, though. The Slim-fit add-on is designed for negative ease, but I just wanted the top to be shaped, not clingy. I measured a L but made a 2XL to get the fit I wanted. I paired the slim-fit bodice with the 2XL flutter sleeves from the original pattern, but I did take 2" out of the sleeves to tone the flutters down a little.


Here's the final product, next to its inspiration. As with my daughter's desert breeze, this was a really quick make - even faster, since I didn't have to spend time gathering and attaching the skirt.


I did go with the wider strap option, which was *supposed* to cover my bra but doesn't. Not entirely, anyway. I figure I've go long hair though, so complete strap coverage isn't critical. But in my next Summer Breeze, I'll probably widen the straps even a little further.


And there will for sure BE a next Summer Breeze - This top is flattering, easy to make, and I love being able to coordinate with my daughter. High fives all around!


1 comment: