Friday, December 28, 2018

Gamer Onesie (Power Up!)

One of the most exciting developments of this year has been the announcement of a new nephew! His parents are consummate gamers, and the mom-to-be (My SIL) has been admiring my clothing handiwork for years. Long before ever getting pregnant, she watched me complete a Mario Sleeper, a Pac Man Hoodie, and a Mario Dress. Of those, it was the Mario Dress fabric she admired the most.


So, I gotta admit even though that was 3 years ago, I've been hoarding the scraps for her ever since: "just in case." And luckily, babies start out small, so a onesie can be gotten from... not a lot of fabric, because that's what I had left.

For this project, I picked the Peek-a-Boo Lullaby Line Bodysuit. PaB is quickly becoming one of my go-to-pattern makers, and I'd seen (and admired) the promotions when it was released, so it was fresh on my mind. My nephew obviously didn't need the skirt option (which I think is pretty fun and unique) but I did like the lapped shoulders for ease sliding over big baby heads.



After purchase, I was pleasantly surprised to see how quick a make this was! I think I pretty much whipped the majority of the onesie out in one sitting, although it did then take me a couple of days to work up the nerve to put the snaps on the bottom. I used the same interfacing for this onesie as for the sleeper, since I had it lying around.

And, as with the original dress, I used bits of the brick for all the binding. My engineering heart is a little offended by the inefficient use of fabric when the featured scene disappears into a seam allowance like that, but I can't argue with the appeal of the finished product. I auditioned several solids for bands, and they... just didn't seem to look as sharp.




Overall, I have to say this pattern is definitely a make-again. It's fast, it's cute, and PaB is definitely on their A-game  here with a tutorial delivers a nice, finished product the first time around. I did mess up a little on the shoulder-binding (note to self, next time transfer the dots that tell you how far to stretch the neckband at the shoulder vs. neck, rather than forgetting until you've already pinned and then rationalizing that they can't be THAT important), but overall, this was a pretty time-effective project with good end results. I'm really happy with how this onesie looks, and hopefully my SIL will be too!

No comments:

Post a Comment