Thursday, September 16, 2021

A Sonic Cardigan for Christmas

For Christmas this year I wanted to have a handmade gift under the tree for my nephew. My SIL mentioned an interest in Grow-With-Me Patterns, so when Sew For Boys users pointed me to Apple Tree Patterns (for a different reason), I took notice.

Browsing their site I found the Grow With Me Classic Cardigan, with a turned over (rolled neck?) collar that reminded me instantly of the sweaters my grandfather used to wear. It was too great a detail to resist!
 


Again, this is the nephew with very dedicated gamer parents, and after a a year of Mario and Zelda, I at least was ready for a change. I didn't own a Sega as a kid, but I did figure Sonic The Hedgehog was a universally well-loved classic at this point. The yellow was, as always a PurpleSeamstress buy.


I'll admit I was not prepared for how labor-intensive this pattern is. The placket needed interfacing, and a few tries with my button-hole foot on knit convinced me that, interfacing or not the odds of my getting 4-5 button holes in a row lined up was... not good on knit fabric. Fortunately, Kam Snaps came to my rescue as a practical - if less grandpa-adjacent - alternative. 

I till think the buttons would have looked sharp (and I have made them work on a number of CKC Havens over the years), but that's a challenge for another time. For now I was glad to have this all adorable and ready to go under the Christmas tree!

A Happy Holiday indeed.

1 comment:

  1. Very sharp looking. And snaps are not only a smart and sew-safe alternative, but also easier for the nephew to use. At least easier to get out of in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete