Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Pac-Man Pants (A challenge accepted)

On Christmas Day, my one-year old nephew surprised his parents with a blowout. They reached into their diaper bag and found that the one pair of pants they had brought was old, uncomfortably small, and kind of scratchy. I'm not usually the sort to just "whip up" an article of clothing in one sitting, but on a lark as we laid about and watched the children play that afternoon, I challenged myself to see if I could come up with a pair of pants in the time it took his original pants to go through the washer and dryer. I had enough large enough scraps from my son's first hoodie to make a go at it.

To complete the challenge, my chosen pattern was the Apple Tree Grow With me Bunny Bottoms. Apple Tree specializes in Grow-with-me patterns, and while it's not the aesthetic I would have picked out of the catalog, as I've looked at all the things people have made on the Sew For Boys Facebook Group, the pattern has ... grown on me, pardon the pun. As usual, I paired my leftover main with a solid from PurpleSeamstress


The pattern was straighforward, and the whole thing (taping, cutting, and sewing) probably took a little over an hour.  I opted for the gusset to increase diaper space, and Construction-wise I appreciated that there are two side seams rather than one crotch seam, meaning fabric can be continuous in the front (and back!) view. the 12m-3T size fit my 2T nephew about perfectly, and I beat my washer/dryer combo by a good 30 minutes.

Overall, not bad for a holiday challenge! Would that every project could be started mid-afternoon and done in time for Christmas Dinner.




1 comment:

  1. Quick sewing and speedy recovery from a messy situation! Much better that what he was "PAC(k)ing"

    ReplyDelete