Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Crashin' the Party

With D3 on the horizon, I jumped at the chance to order some more of the "Rotten to the Core" fabric; my daughter *loved* the hoodie dress I made her last year with it, but she outgrew it earlier this year.


I missed my initial goal of a new Descendants outfit for the D3 premiere, but D3 juiced my daughter's enthusiasm for the franchise. So the next time my daughter got to pick her own fabric for a dress, she selected this Descendants-inspired print.

And I, having had a long time to think about what I wanted to make for it (and to pick the perfect purple to go with it, thank you PurpleSeamstress) had TONS of options at the ready; a layered off-the-shoulder look, a pretty peplum, and a hooded 'princess' dress with a high-low double skirt.... the possibilities were endless, and I was absolutely itching to try something new after my pre-Disney Hoodie Marathon in September.


So what did my beloved daughter pick? Well... another Haven's Hoodie, of course. Sigh. I'll admit, it dampened my enthusiasm for a bit, having already made one of these in this fabric with these features. Usually I have a drive to finish "So I can see what it looks like," but in this case, all I needed to do was look at old pictures to see how it would turn out.


Also, in my annoyance at having to make it again, I blew straight past my daughter's size-7 measurements and made her a size 8, only to find that it was *still* a little large on her, even though she'd outgrown her Size 6 Haven's Hoodie last year. Not that she minds! She and her Brother both picked fun mom-made customs for the day before Halloween, and had a blast wearing them.


At the end of the day I do have plenty of *other* fabric I can use to try out new patterns, fabric with prints she doesn't have a preconceived notion about. I can still enjoy experimenting with those.



And in the meantime, here's to a dress so loved it got requested twice! And here's to two years of "Rotten to the Core" creations.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, better to make it too big than too small! Good job, Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the plus side, it must be really gratifying to realize your daughter loves what you made for her so much she wants a repeat - with no changes! That green hood lining and those matching green socks are quite striking, as are her poses! Also her style choice matches the season. You may have missed the D3 premiere but you are still pretty much in sync with her tastes and desires of the moment. As a mother, though it appears you have missed being on the "rotten to the core" bandwagon. What a bummer! You turned out to be a good mom!

    ReplyDelete