Wednesday, July 31, 2019

A Childhood Shared

Like a good nerd, I am into many fandoms these days. But I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for the very FIRST fandom I participated in as a little kid, namely Rainbow Brite. I was 4 when the series came out. I watched all the episodes, collected all the dolls, read all the books, and even owned a record or two I think (vinyl, of course).


So obviously when I saw this fabric being offered, I had to jump in. The characters, the color palettes, it was like seeing my childhood books brought to life. And as always I love a good border print!

This time the lucky recipient was my daughter - she'd admired the print a while ago, and she's also a fan of the books I saved from my childhood. She's also fast outgrowing the Care Bears and JoJo Summer Dresses I made her last year. Last summer I didn't *quite* get around to making a Striped Swallow Desert Breeze, and I've been chomping at the bit to use it ever since.


Striped Swallow Designs does do a really nice job with patterns - the instructions can be confusing at times, but the cutting instructions are consistent, and the garments are easy to assemble. I was pleasantly surprised at how fast the Desert Breeze came together, especially once I figured out that my sewing machine (a Janome DC2007 LE) would allow me to move my needle over to the side when triple stitching the binding.


And I was also quite pleased with how well received it was! My daughter isn't into Rainbow Brite like she used to be, but she loves this dress - it hasn't made it more than 2 days in her closet without a washing yet.


They say "out with the old, in with the new," but in this case, I think old & new are coexisting together quite nicely.

1 comment:

  1. The dress is adorable and once again you fussy cut "par excellence". The fabric is positively gorgeous and Autumn wears that style so well. Love to see her reading the book - one of four if I remember correctly. There is one LP record which I took to be digitized in mid-May. It was suppose by completed by early July but that date has slipped. Hopefully you will get it before she outgrows the dress so she can dance to that music wearing the dress. The album title was Rainbow Brite: Paint a Rainbow in your Heart and has 10 songs. And as to her losing interest? You never know. Perhaps her daughter some day will like Rainbow Brite. Some classics have a way of living on generation to generation.

    ReplyDelete