Friday, August 5, 2022

Sewing Room Construction - Framing it all in

In summer of 2021 - 9 years after we moved into our house -  I developed a plan for renovating my sewing area to be an actual, closed-off room inside the house. Given the post-COVID home improvement boom, it took a few months to find an available, qualified contractor. It turns out most (sensible) people *don't* want home renovations interfering with their holiday plans, so my contractor was available starting... two weeks before Thanksgiving. Oooof. But, having waited this long, I was not about to let another delay slow me down: Christmas sewing schedule be darned, I signed on the dotted line and we started the renovation!!!

 
Here's the early stages, where you can see the framing for the wall going on. Then came drywall - one side only, so I could keep kids out of the area under construction, but the electrician could still work.

Here's the lighting I chose for the sewing room: can lighting seems to be the big recommendation for work spaces, but since this sewing room is doubling as a second TV area, I wanted something dimmable. I also suspected I wanted daylight color, but I wasn't sure. These lights - purchased at Home Depot - let me decide after installation, because have a switch that goes into the ceiling and lets you select a different "bulb" color at any time (if you're willing to pull the light back out again). 


Meanwhile, my machines were chilling up in my master bedroom, ready for all that Christmas sewing I  was planning (more on that later).


No comments:

Post a Comment