Thursday, August 11, 2022

Sewing Room Construction - Doors!

The main purpose of separating out my sewing room was to have doors I could close - doors to keep people out, doors to keep the mess in, and doors for some small sense of privacy despite the glass panels. To keep with the aesthetic of my house, I ordered two 24" doors, craftsman style. All the window panes were tempered glass, and I was VERY pleasantly surprised at the cost: we live in the midwest and it was less than $500 for the set. 

And again, renovating through the holidays actually turned out to be a boon for my timeline: my supplier was able to build the doors in just under three weeks! They arrived right before Thanksgiving, and spent the holiday tucked away from my nephews inside the sewing room. The following Monday my contractor installed them, and by the end of the day they were framed. Here they are freshly installed, without any hardware:

Hardware was a ball-and-catch mechanism to keep them closed (it doesn't lock, but I can live with that), and stationary knobs that don't turn, but help push/pull the door open when the user passes through. 


It was almost sad to see them stained to match the rest of the house, but I have to admit that with hardware and baseboards, they looked pretty good!

Doors and paint were the final touch, so here's the end product of our sewing room renovation. Here's a panoramic view from the door:

And here's a view from the of the renovation itself.

Now, to put all that stuff back!

1 comment:

  1. I just caught up on all of your renovation blog posts. So exciting that you were able to complete this project late last year! I'm glad that you have a separate space for yourself and your craft. I am sure that you are enjoying it a lot!

    ReplyDelete