Tuesday, January 5, 2021

It Has Pockets

Lately my daughter has been very much a shirt-and jeans kind of girl, so even though I *want* to sew her the kind of tulle-heavy, puffed-sleeve masterpieces you see on Custom Collective and Club Pixieville (see here and here), as it turns out that if I want her to actually *wear* it, I am better off with simpler silhouettes and more practical designs.

Simple Life Pattern Co introduced the Zoe on August 25, and with its visually interesting/unique elements being  princess seams and useful pockets, it seemed like a good choice for my daughter.  Especially with those pockets. In my mind, I held off FOREVER on buying it. In actuality I held off until... 9/2, so *slightly* longer than a week (I checked), but in my mind I assure you it felt like forever. 

My first foray into the pattern was using a Sleep My Beauty print from the now-defunct Firefliez Fabrics. I added this amazing green flame from Kammie Lou Lou for the accents, and chose the peplum length with a regular back and circle skirt option. 

Even though I followed the size chart, double-checked my 1" square, and made it the same size as most of her favorite store-bought clothing, I found this shirt ended up just a *little* short on my daughter. It was still wearable, but I found her tugging it down quite a bit.


So of course, if you don't (fully) succeed, try, try again. For my second attempt, I realized I could add length to  the bodice by extending the lines on the princess seams and on the side seams, so I sized up one size, and added another 3/4" in height. This fabric came from Custom Knit Destash, and I ran it by my daughter before committing: she went crazy for it! 


She also asked me for a scooped back, which I was nervous to do since I was sizing up. But after some brainstorming, I realized I had the perfect excuse to purchase the Simple Life Shelby and steal a design element from it; namely, the straps on the back. In retrospect I had thought there would be a bigger trick to the strap design and there wasn't - I just had to muscle the fabric around to attach it between the outer layer and the lining - but sometimes it's just worth KNOWING, and I am sure the built-in capped-sleeve element will serve me well in the future too.


As for now, I'm just happy to have a top my daughter will wear, at least on the weekends. I miss when she was little and would don anything I made with gusto, but I guess I am grateful that her newfound taste is providing me with new challenges and opportunities to grow. I think at the very least, she is grateful for the pockets :-)

1 comment:

  1. Super cute! Viv is really into those L.O.L. dolls now, too, although I'm not much of a fan (for one thing, there are way too many tiny pieces which are going to be banned from the house as soon as the newest baby is old enough to put small things in her mouth and choke on them). It sounds like that's the "it" toy for girls now, though, and by default, Lil is having fun playing with them with Viv. Anyway, I do like the shirt that you made way better than the actual toy!

    ReplyDelete