Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Back to the Unknown

If you read my previous entry carefully, you'll notice I refer to the Rainbow Cheetah Skirt as being a "test run." Well, here's what the test run was for:


Several years ago, when the first Frozen movie was all the rage, I'd picked up an organza-like mystery fabric, with foil snowflakes on a sheer turquoise woven. Whatever it was, it needed to be hemmed, and at the time I didn't own a serger. So, it spent a good 5 years in my stash before acting as my impetus to learn the rolled hem on my serger, as well as how to make thinner seams. But when a Frozen print showed up at my door just in time for the Frozen 2 premiere... it was too perfect a pairing not to use.


To make my Frozen Mystery Fabric skirt, I the used the construction methods I'd developed on the pink stretch mesh. In this case the "top" layer was 5 yards of snowflake print gathered into a single layer, with four individual 5-yard layers of tulle underneath. In retrospect, 5 layers of stiff skirting was overkill. Live and learn, I suppose.


For the top, having just had success with a Fun tee/Delaney/Isla short-sleeved combo, I decided to go with what worked; this time in a long-sleeved version. I got brave an tried a hi-lo skirt instead of straight, which I think was a nice addition. I also shaved an inch off the bodice, so it wasn't so long-waisted on my daughter. This Frozen print looks great with jeans, and paired with the skirt, the outfit really comes alive.


It's always a good feeling to turn some long-hoarded fabric into something beautiful, and in this case I feel extra good that the outfit I made is both perfect for the fabric, and perfect for the moment with my daughter. She's in love, and you can see pictures of her rocking this outfit at the Frozen 2 premiere here.


It's the perfect outfit for a stirring rendition of "Into the Unknown" for sure.

2 comments:

  1. This dress is FABULOUS! I can't believe you made it! Well, I can, but still, it's so awesome. A (and I) are both so lucky to have such a talented mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This outfit is positively gorgeous. Glad to see you have no fear whatsoever when it comes to gathering.

    ReplyDelete