Tuesday, February 18, 2020

A Zombie-Thrones Christmas

One of my favorite parts of sewing my own clothing is being able to combine fabric and pattern in ways you wouldn't necessarily expect. I'm a child of the 80s, and kids clothing these days is far too gendered for my tastes - who decided boys get puppies and girls get kittens? And more importantly, what's a clan of zombie lovers to do when they birth only (or at least, mostly) daughters?


My husband's whole family is full of zombie fanatics. And when I saw this print, I knew it was perfect for any daughters-in-law my brothers-in-law might produce. Unfortunately it was a little bit big to be used on a baby, so into "deep stash" it went. But this past year my two youngest nieces just turned 2 and 4, and this year we were going to see them for Christmas.


For the youngest (who, fortunately, has grown like WHOA over her first 2 years and now fits a size 4), I made one of my go-tos, the Haven's Hoodie. It's fast, it's efficient, and it works great with panels. I couldn't just do her, though! Her older sister carries the nickname "Princess," and when I bought this panel, Danerys Targen from the Game of Thrones series was beloved by all.


Of course, after the GoT Finale... less so, but my niece can definitely have an obstinate streak some days, so perhaps the shirt can help signify the days when she's a little *too* hell-bent on having her way.


The shirt and dress were delivered in Christmas 2019, and both my nieces and their parents had happy faces after the presentation; after all, it's not everyday you get a Zombie Dress and a Game of Thrones shirt for your kids!

1 comment:

  1. You certainly do sew creations that cannot be bought in any store and are specifically tailored to the tastes of the little ones and their parents. I am not literate in Game of Thrones so I had to look up Khaleesi. Now I know it is roughly equivalent to "queen" in the Dothraki language. Can the four year old spell khaleesi if she is one? It is important to become bilingual at a young age so I hope her parents are teaching her Dothraki Unfortunately I am equally ignorant about zombies. It saddens me a bit to see the Beast in chains but it makes me happy to see your creativity and craftsmanship in your sewing. Great job.

    ReplyDelete