Sunday, April 26, 2020

Glad Tidings

In 2017, I went to the the Houston International Quilt Festival with my Mom. While I was there I fell in love with a Henry Glass "Glad Tidings" Advent Calendar by LeeAnne and Kaitlyn Andersen. This calendar caught my eye in part because of the colors and the artwork, but also because it had a pretty interesting premise - rather than a treat for each day, the calendar had a proposed activity that would further the spirit of giving during the holidays rather than that of receiving. Things like "staff a soup kitchen", "walk a neighbor's dog", "have an elderly person over for dinner," or "bring cookies to someone who's lonely." Good ideas that were sweet, but entirely sugar free.  The mother/daughter duo the designed it were really friendly - and had a super appealing booth - so I indulged in the panel and some coordinating fabric before I left, as did my mom.



Of course, as often happens with a harried Mom of 2 (me), I got the fabric home but never actually got around to making the calendar. My Mom even tried to help out in 2018 by pre-making all the pockets and the tabs that went in them for me,  but still I found myself unable to make time for the project. So in 2019  - after my SIL requested an Advent Calendar and my Mom made one for her - my mom packed her bags and arrived at my doorstep ready to help me get MY calendar DONE. 



You can read about my mom's experiences with her calendar here. Fortunately, I was able to capitalize on her past experience, and use the techniques she had discovered by trial and error to make my process faster and easier. She chose to do the kit as designed, and I, ever the trailblazer, flew by the seat of my pants on a simpler (and smaller!) design. 


A panel and then a border made around the title block for easy assembly, and since I've got a house full of Christmas quilts already (including the one that is taking me forever), I didn't miss the more showy blocks and borders. I borrowed from my mom's stash on the binding, backing, and piping technique, and by the time she was ready to leave, I did have a brand new Advent calendar for display on the wall. 



Now when I look at it, I have the fun artwork, the good suggestions, AND the memories of time spent with my mom. Here's to a calendar made with love!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! I really like your scaled down version of this quilt. We love the one that your mom made for us, but it is almost too large to hang on any wall. This quilt will be a keepsake that I can imagine being used by both of our families for a very long time (maybe generations?!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a fun project, especially when I see my daughter has acquired my sewing habit. I enjoyed myself during my stay where this project was completed... Glad Tidings with Happy Abidings.

    ReplyDelete