Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Rainbow Mermaid

Little A has been loving her Descendants dress, and as soon as I realized how much use it was getting, I knew I needed to make another. On a lark - and in the middle of an I-swear-I'm-not-buying-any-more-fabric stint - I saw this set go on sale at Miss Mac Fabric, and I HAD to have it.


The original plan was to make a PaB Violet with a mermaid center and fishtail sides, and then add in the CKC Haven's hood. But that fish-scale rainbow stripe turned to to be really, REALLY bright, in person, and I began to suspect a dress with it on the sides AND on the hood would be too busy. And my daughter LOVES the hood on her Descendants dress.

So, I switched gears to a "solid" bodice, which could support the Haven pocket, and CKC Haven's hoodie (modified) it was.


This time I skipped the bottom cuff and just lengthened out the bodice/skirt accordingly, as I had done last time with the sleeves. I'm not sure if that was an improvement over a 2.5" band of scales at the bottom, but it did save me some time in cutting & sewing.


I will admit that after whipping out those two Care Bear Dresses in a weekend, this dress felt like it took FOREVER. But, the time spent definitely paid off.


My daughter loves the dress, front and back...


And as always, she can't resist a dress with a pocket! I'm glad I took the time to fussycut so the sleeves are even, and so Ariel could be centrally placed. A still says her Descendents dress is her favorite, but it's obvious that this is a close second!


It's always satisfying to make a garment that your child likes, and doubly so when you go from feeling guilty to making something this thrilling.









2 comments:

  1. That dress is gorgeous, one of a kind, and obviously a supreme source of happiness for your daughter. I love the fish scales with the lIttle Mermaid theme. I suspect you met Ariel and perhaps Ursula at DisneyWorld?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute - the dress and daughter! I think that I saw this on FB awhile ago and requested it as a future hand-me-down (if A doesn't wear it out with love!). Dress + Pockets + Little Mermaid = Preschooler Euphoria

    ReplyDelete