Thursday, June 14, 2018

All in the Ohana

It's been over 2 years since R received her "More Mingoes" dress, but her mom still sends me photos of her in it. It's well loved! R's mom - an occasional reader of this blog, and faithful humor-er when I need to talk about fabric - also reports that R *loved* having a matching dress for her baby sister, but that since baby sis is almost a year old, that six-month sized dress isn't fitting any more. R hasn't received a new dress since I switched to knits. That's one oversight I'd like to remedy!


Fortunately, this little beauty - ordered in January - arrived exactly 5 days before I was scheduled to get on a plane to see R and her family. The schedule was tight, but I was determined to rise to the occasion.

I had lucked out because as it turned out, I already had two Peekaboo Violet patterns traced out in the right sizes from another project I'd abandoned (or more accurately, scaled down to better fit my nieces). I was able to drag those out, and get right to work on cutting. Which... immediately became a challenge, because I had *just enough* fabric to get 3 of the 4 panels I needed cut in continuous fabric. You can read my process post to see how I pulled the 4th together.

It was still a crazy weekend - I think the fabric arrived on Wednesday, I prewashed it Thursday, and I had both dresses done by Sunday; but I was very glad I'd gotten them done. Here they are being showcased before I packed them up:


and here they are on the happy recipients!


I was able to deliver them in person, but it was late when I arrived so the girls did not wear them until later that week. Nonetheless, R's mother tells me that R let every teacher at daycare know that these dresses were made for her and her sister by me personally. How's that for a commendation? Here's hoping these dresses are just as loved as the previous set. So far, all signs point to "yes"!

No comments:

Post a Comment