Monday, April 16, 2018

Cuteness Report!

My son has been a longtime Octonauts fan; for at least a year, it was in near-constant rotation on our TV. By the time I bought this fabric last November, I was beginning to suspect the obsession had run its course: but the price was right, and I couldn't resist the memories. 


Then this February, out of the blue my son started binging on Octonauts again. What luck! A window of opportunity, as they say. I took the main character toss (my favorite part) and paired it with a royal blue solid from Sweet N Charmed.



One of these days I am going to have to work up the nerve to make another hoodie with some of my precious boy fabric. But, since I just wanted to get this DONE and on my kid, the Made By Jack's Mum Explorer Raglan was the logical choice; at this point I've figured out the correct sizing for my kids, and I know how to choose and place fabric to get the look I want so... Despite its quirks this is definitely a go-to pattern for me. 


It's also been kind of fun to compare these shirts to the ones I made in November and see how my product has improved. I learned about the the triple stitch on my machine from the SLPco Facebook Group while making the Science Dress, and it's made me a lot more enthusiastic about topstitching. I'm also getting better at 1/4" seams, and my necklines are definitely getting more even and less caddywompus. 


This particular shirt was made in a size 4T for my son (who wears a 2T in ready-to-wear), but shortened by about 2" on the bottom. It's a little large yet, but I hate making things that don't have room to grow. These photos were taken before I worked up the courage to try double needles on a the neckline, but the shirt has since been updated with them. 


And my son loves it! It was definitely a case of the right fabric at the right time, and I'm glad I made the space in my project queue.

1 comment:

  1. Such cool themes and so timely with your kids' interests (obsessions?)That pale blue is a good color on him and I like it combined with the royal sleeves. Does the back of the shirt have just bubbles but with no characters or are you saving the just bubbles for another use? I always think raglan sleeves look sharp, fit the kids better, and allow for growth more.

    ReplyDelete