Monday, April 9, 2018

A Wicked Patch Job

On literally the first day that A wore her Descendants Dress socially, a mini-disaster struck: A friend's cat got his claw stuck in A's dress.


Fortunately, the cat (who should probably be venerated into sainthood for his patience) didn't panic or hurt A at all, but he did tear a small hole in the arm of her dress with his efforts to get himself unstuck. I'll admit I wasn't the *happiest* I've ever been, but A was devastated. "My dress is ruined!" she cried. Well...


Not so fast, kid! I do have to give major thanks to the CKC Message Boards on Facebook - which came up with a ton of clever solutions for fixing the problem, from adding cuffs back to fingerless gloves and colorblock sleeves. But the winning suggestion came from a poster who pointed out that custom ribbon on Etsy is usually perfectly washable on normal laundry settings. Hello 1" patch!


15 minutes of searching with the Etsy app on my phone, and I had 3 candidates for a "patch ribbon" lined up. I was trying to get the logo, but my daughter declared SHE liked the CGI characters best, soo... Compromise!



The patch is about 4" worth of 1-inch ribbon from TheBowzStore on Etsy, with the characters for her and the logo for me. My husband (an ex-firefighter) helped me burn the ends, and I sewed it on by hand using a quick whipstitch. My daughter loves it, and I love that this quick fix turned out both functional AND beautiful.



2 comments:

  1. Wow! What an ingenious solution that looks like it was intended to be there all along! Glad the cat was polite and cooperative. Way to go to contact the message boards. Love the ribbon. Ya gotta love Etsy. I smiled at the compromise between characters and logo.

    ReplyDelete