Wednesday, September 6, 2017

A Simple Shark Dress

After the easy construction and amazing results of my first Isla Dress by Simple Life Pattern Co., I knew I had to try again, and soon.

While I was shopping for the fabric that ultimately became my nieces' kaleidoscope dresses, I brought my daughter with me to my LQS, and she made a find: a Jason Yenter shark print, from the Return to Atlantis line. Did I mention she likes sharks?


At the time I had no idea what I would do with it, so I only bought one yard. But, it turns out the Isla only needs one yard for the skirt if you choose the gathered option. Serendipity? Perhaps. My daughter certainly thinks so.


To make this dress, I chose the drop waist option, 3/4 sleeves, and a gathered skirt. Also, I did size up a bit (6) to give my daughter room to grow. I'm hoping this will be a fall staple, even though when I sewed it temperatures were in the triple digits.


As always, there was no resisting the heart cutout in the back, which my daughter was also impressed with.  Having now topstitched the heart both with regular stitched (Dress for a Darryl Fan) and with Stretch stitches (this one), I can honestly say I like the "regular" topstitching option better.


And of course I have saved the best for last (at least as far as my daughter is concerned)...this dress has pockets! They're included in the instructions, and although they did add to the time needed to make the dress, they were definitely worth it. Just look at the smile on that face!


It's my reward for a Pocket-y, Heart-y, Shark Dress well-sewed, and I will take it.  Linking up to Let's Bee Social and Linky Tuesday to share the joy.

Sew Fresh Quilts



2 comments:

  1. The dress came out adorable! I am sure Autumn loved those pockets but as a mom you will have the challenge of remembering to check those pockets before laundering. The heart in the back is just too cute - a real classy touch! Great job and so glad to see you posting about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute! Viv loves her dresses with pockets, too!

    ReplyDelete