Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Kaleidescope Pretties

This past May, a new arrival graced my brother's family - he and his wife gave birth to their second baby girl! Their first daughter, V, turned two the month before, giving me a great opportunity to coordinate their gifts.

Anyone who reads this blog regularly is probably tired of hearing me tout the Tie Dye Diva Peasant Dress pattern, but... some things are cliches because they work. At my local quilt shop, I feel in love with this Lumina Metallic print by Robert Kaufman.



Obviously, this was just begging to be fussy-cut into two different dress designs for the girls. Big sis got the medallion, little sis got the "flower," and both had the (small) lilac octagon centered on the back. I paired it with a Moda Weave for the sleeves, and little sis also got a matching diaper cover (another TDD pattern), since her dress is in the 6-12 month size.

What can I say? I love how they turned out. The TDD pattern is an old friend I keep coming back to, but with the right fabric selection, the dresses still turn out unique. I went through 2.5 yards of fabric on these guys - and in the end I used up almost all of it - but it was totally worth it.


Because as always, this dress produced happy customers again! Here are my nieces in their brand new outfits: It's almost too much cuteness to bear!


UPDATE; SIL texted me to let me know that V wanted to sleep in her dress, and wore it for two days straight after receiving it. If that's not a win, I don't know what is!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, the dresses are very well loved! Purple is a favorite around here and dresses always win over pants. Thank you so much! The girls will be wearing these for quite some time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That fabric is gorgeous and so deserving of fussy cutting. Two medallion sizes for the two girls was a great inspiration and well carried out. Love the strong accent magenta/purple you chose to go with it. Overall a great job. It is so neat they were such a hit with the girls, too. And by the way, glad to see a post from you to go with those two dresses. It makes them even more special!

    ReplyDelete