Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Leopard Kyra

Although I really loved the way my Thankful Hampton turned out, I felt a little bad that it was supposed to be a first-day-of-summer camp shirt, but it didn't turn out very summery. Looking to make a quick save on the concept of a 'fun summer shirt,' for a still peplum-crazed (make that *drop waisted* peplum crazed... ) daughter, I turned to a previously used fabric I knew would be a hit - the Rainbow Cheetah Print from Oh So Pretty Fabric

And, needing a quick sew, I splurged on the Kyra from Simple Life Pattern Co. Honestly, I went back and forth quite a bit on buying this - I already had the Stitch Upon a Time Aurora, and both patterns' defining feature is the cross-back straps that add interest to what's otherwise a basic summer staple. But I liked the thick straps of the Kyra, and the crisper geometry in back. So, I indulged. 

If you're looking for a comparison, the overall effect of both patterns is pretty similar - the Kyra has thicker straps and a triangular area between straps, where the Aurora is rounded. 

But, the construction methods differ quite a bit - although there is a seam in the straps on the Kyra, the straps are created in one continuous stitch line then turned, then the bodice is closed via seams on the side and back. With Aurora, there's no need for a back seam because the bodice is created and then the straps are joined to close it. Both have methods that leave all seams enclosed, so the real tradeoff is a the lack of a back seam in the Aurora vs. the relative ease of getting Kyra's straps to look smooth and straight. Well, and since the straps join at the shoulder for the Kyra and in the back on the Aurora, the Kyra is a little more efficient to cut out, which is nice. I do think Kyra was the quicker, easier sew of the two, but either one is  pretty good pattern. You can see my review of the Aurora here

For this Kyra I did add some length to the bodice because my daughter is long-waisted. The the Kyra was a one-afternoon project for me, which is pretty quick by my standards. It came out fast & cute, and my daughter loves it. 


It goes well with jeans - and that's how she prefers to style it, but just for fun we also brought her fluffy pink skirt out. 


Hats off to such a quick & versatile top - and a model who knows how to work it to its every advantage :-)


1 comment: