Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Should You Need Us

Sadly, A friend of mine recently lost a beloved pet. To be sure, the cat in question lived a long, happy life, but it's always hard to let go of our furry friends.

Fortunately, my friend is a HUGE Labyrinth fan, and it just so happened that my Labyrinth-inspired fabric had arrived earlier that week. So when she texted me and pointed out the truism that "adulting sucks," I knew what I had to do.


This is a Hey June Lane Raglan, which is designed for a relaxed fit. It's straightforward - as most raglans are - and I was able to cut it out and sew it up in a weekend.


The panel and sleeve fabric are from Fabric Anthropology, and the solid on the back is from Purple Seamstress. I made this according to my friend's measurements and she reported back that despite the advertised "relaxed fit" she would have preferred it to be a little looser. Notes for next time, I guess. But it still looks good, and I'm pretty sure she was touched by the gesture :-)


And she wasn't the only fan of this shirt - as she put it "I think [my daughter] would have fought me for the right to wear this shirt as a dress if the sleeves were shorter." Sadly, that was my only panel, but I'm sure I can find something else for a kid of such great taste.

And I'm glad that a handmade item can bring such joy, no matter the circumstances.

1 comment:

  1. You find the greatest fabrics and most unique fabrics! Perhaps all the furry friends on the front of this gift shirt can bring back a little of the brightness lost when the special beloved kitty passed on. It is the thought more so than the gift that counts anyway and I am sure knowing you were thinking of her brought a bit of a smile.

    ReplyDelete