My husband is incredibly supportive of my quilting, whether it be letting me run to the fabric store on short notice, giving a quick (or no so quick) color consult, or rearranging his chores so I can spend an entire Saturday making buntings for a quilt show. So, when he asks for something, I listen.
My husband is a big fan of the Star Wars X-wing Miniatures Game, and one of the things he has yet to collect is a playing mat. Typically, the game is played on a 36" x 36" area, which is set of dimensions I as a quilter am quite familiar with. So one day he asks me if *I* can make one, and obviously the answer is "of course." Enter... the Star Wars Game Mat.
I already had some Star Wars themed fabric left over from my Star Wars Quilt a few years ago, and my husband and after some looking online, we found this beautiful Smithsonian Logo Print at Equilter and ordered it.
I used the space-themed fabric for the front, and the Star Wars fabric for the back. I did add just a *thin* layer of batting to the board, so my stitches would lay nice, but rather than bind it I sewed all three layers together at the outside and then turned it.
It's a little hard to see my quilting (black thread on a black background will do that to you), but I decided to go with concentric squares at ever increasing intervals. So the first square is 4", the second is 6.5", the third is 9.5" and so on. I added diagonal lines to help with centering the larger squares, liked the look so much I ended up adding vertical and horizontal centerlines for good measure. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the effect: it was simple and fast to do, and has the look of an X-wing Aiming sight.
He's going to try at it his game night next Tuesday, and perhaps I will get some pictures of it in action then.