Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Bears that Care for an Expecting Mom

Late last year we received some exciting news from my brother; he and his wife were expecting their third child, and our first nephew on that side of the family! C has already been pregnant twice (with my nieces V and L), and was a consummate trooper with her last pregnancy. So, since by pregnancy #3 it's easy to start thinking of pregnancies as "routine" and "the status quo," I wanted to do something special to commemorate the event. 

Like a handmade maternity top. 



My own experience is that Maternity wear is perfectly calibrated to last *exactly* 1.5 pregnancies. So C, who is usually pragmatic about not spending too much on limited-use things like maternity clothing, could probably use an infusion of nice, new maternity stuff by pregnancy #3. Also, I thought it might be fun to make something in an undeniably boy-ish color since previous maternity wear has, for the most part been used to gestate girls. Enter the perfect fabric.


C is an 80s child like me, and her nickname growing up was "Care Bear." So when I saw this "Bears that Care" print I thought of her, although it wasn't until my brother called that I had an actual justification to BUY some of it. I picked it up from Firefliez Fabrics in Cotton Lycra.

For the pattern I used the Layer Me Up Shirt and the Layer Me Up Maternity Add-on from Patterns 4 Pirates. This was my first P4P project, and I was pretty pleased with the instructions and how simple they were, although putting together the cutting guide/pattern itself was kind of nervewracking. The Layer Me Up Top uses one pattern piece for the torso front and torso back, and then a couple of interchengeable pattern pieces for the armscyes up top, and the Maternity option uses the same back but a different front (obviously), so it was a lot of different pieces to keep track of. It's the same basic concept as a flipbook:



But if you get the pages wrong, you ruin the fabric. Given that my fabric was practically irreplaceable, I spent a fair amount of time asking "do have the correct combo, right?" at every step. That said, the top went together *reasonably* quickly, and I loved the final result.


I paired the main bear print with a delightful yellow solid from Purple Seamstress, which I think gave it just the right amount of POP. From the back it looks like a normal shirt, but in the front there is plenty of room for a baby bump. 



And, speaking of baby bump... here's C with hers! This photo was taken at 22 weeks, just after my creation arrived. C looks amazing, and I'm really flattered that she was excited enough to try it on first thing. 


Looks like in P4P patterns, "tunic length" gets dangerously close to looking like a dress (at least on C, who is 5'3"), but even if this particular tunic/dress combo just gets worn around the house, I'm still glad to see my SIL (and my Nephew!) sporting a little Auntie RLQ love.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, again, for thinking of me and for spending your limited time (but vast talents!) creating this shirt. It was so thoughtful of you!

    Oh, and for the record, I'm 5'5". Hee hee! I have an idea, though, that you got that stat from your dear brother and that's why it's a few inches off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your flip book illustration of the pattern concept was quite amusing. It is also quite amazing that you could keep the pattern pieces straight much less find time to sew with your energetic daughter and son running around, asking questions and "helping" I am sure. Love the end result. I smiled at your observation that maternity wear lasts 1.5 pregnancies. I think that care bears top only has about 9 weeks of wear left in its future.

    ReplyDelete