Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Pajamas of WarCraft

One of the challenges to custom fabric is that sometimes it takes a lot of *time* to find what you are looking for. My local nephew - whose parents are both gamers - has scored some onesies from me using fabric from past projects. But when I saw this, I knew I had found THE perfect fabric for them, and not just an "acceptable" one.



It was pure happenstance that I managed to score it during a day-after-Christmas sale, too. I'd already made the Brindille & Twig Baby Kimono once - and I hadn't been *that* thrilled with a pattern. But I shopped some of the other alternatives, decided this was still the cutest of the bunch, and what the heck, maybe a second go-round would naturally work some of the kinks out.


This time, I modified the snap structure a bit: I made the tabs longer (lesson learned) & interfaced them for structure. This allowed me to anchor one of my snaps (upper right) to the tab directly without piercing the feature fabric. Kam snaps are pretty smooth, so I wasn't worried they would hurt baby.

I also was a lot more careful to stretch the binding while sewing, add bulk when I turned the binding under (using my new serger), and use a longer stitch length straight out of the gate when top stitching the binding.

And of course, something *this* cute just needed matching pants.


I decided to keep it simple (and cheap!) by making most of the pants out of the same (PurpleSeamstress) solid as the binding. I changed the waistband construction to a traditional casing, and of course I couldn't resist adding Mom & Dad's favorite characters to the feet.



Overall, I am pretty proud of this make! I'm still not crazy about B&T's construction methods, but I have made them work for me. And you can't argue with the cuteness of the final product, which I suspect will be second only to the cuteness of my little nephew.



No comments:

Post a Comment