Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Batiks 2

Remember my Niece's Batik Quilt that went on hold due to overbright sashing? I agonized over it for quite a while and even made a trip to Sooner Quilts to no avail, but then mom came to the rescue proposing this bamboo batik print. I liked that it had lengthwise details, and although I agonized over buying the fabric online, here's how it looked in the quilt:



I combined it with deep yellow/light orange cornerstones made with fabric from the Savage Quilter, which play off the little yellow dots in the feature fabric.  I ended up liking it so much, I ordered more for sashing,



and backing. Notice how the back is also partially pieced from the front, to maximize my use of leftover fabric.


Also, this was my first experience with a scrappy binding. I forgot to take really good pictures, but if you look carefully you can see alternating light and dark purple/violet binding, with cornerstone yellow fabric in between. I think it turned out great on this quilt, but given the amount of effort (and fabric waste) involved, I am not sure I am going to be quite as gung-ho to do a scrappy binding instead.

This quilt, dubbed "batik beauty" by me, was gifted in June of '11 to my eldest niece. Mailing it was a truly nerve-wracking experience, but it arrived safely and to much fanfare. I am told it went to a slumber party to be showed off that night :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment