Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Lego my Batman!

I'm not even sure how we ended up with the DVD for Lego Batman - maybe one of the kids picked it out at Wal-mart - but around our house, that movie is a huge hit. So when this fabric came across my FB feed, I knew I had to order some.


I've been feeling guilty that all summer long, I sewed dresses for my daughter, but my son always seemed to get the short shrift. It helped that his superhero shirt from last year still fit, but... It's been time for something new for a while.

Enter the Max & Meena Max Raglan - this hoodie is all the rage in my custom fabric circles, and for obvious reasons. It cuts a really nice silhouette, and the pockets are pretty eye-catching and unique in photos. I bided my time and waited for a sale, and on Labor Day they offered 25% off, so I splurged and downloaded the pattern.



Once I got it, I realized I hadn't anticipated the following complaints:

1) 1/4" seam allowances. Yes, I'm from a quilting background. I still hate 1/4" seams on knit.

2) Pocket lining attaches with a seam straight across the front of the shirt. I don't know where I'd THOUGHT the pocket linings would attach, but "through my center design" wasn't it.

3) "Double sizing" - ie, 2T/3T = one size, 4T/5T = one size, etc. I guess they're room to grow when the kid is on the small side, but they're scary in an bigger-end kid.

So... not the panacea I had hoped for, but hey: I'd admired it long enough that I couldn't give up without actually MAKING one. So...


I'm glad I did!  This hoodie was very nicely proportioned, all the parts went together without a hitch, and the pockets really DO look sharp in practice. I did fussycut the heck out of my fabric to get the batmobiles on the sleeves just so, and the art on the hood where I wanted it to be.


I also altered the stitching line on the pockets to avoid a line through Batman and Robin's feet. The green line indicates where the pattern WOULD have had me put a stitch line, but the red line is where I actually put it.


Lowering the bottom stitch line on the pockets put it very close to the band, so I just caught the pocket lining in the band rather than make a separate stitch line. It made for a slightly roomier pocket, but my son doesn't seem to mind. The pockets still work fine!


And my son seems to love his new hoodie. I did size up from what was recommended (he measured a 2/3, I made a 4/)5, and the fit is (IMO) about perfect. Using the featured print on the raglan sleeves and the hood is quite eye-catching; with the stitch line modification above, the front showcases the panel quite nicely.



I'm also lucky that I ended up with JUST ENOUGH extra panel to make the sleeve bands, and pocket lining. I'm also lucky that the Royal Blue solid I bought from Purple Seamstress (used on the back and in the hood lining) was such a perfect match.


So despite my complaints with the pattern, this is a definite make-again. Here's to a happy (and well-dressed) kid!




1 comment:

  1. Once again, very impressive! I love how cozy this sweater looks. And it looks like I does, too!

    ReplyDelete