Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Rockin' the Aurora

You know that feeling when your kid develops an affinity for something FIVE MINUTES after the opportunity to buy it expires? That's what happened to me with little A and some Jojo fabric. One of my favorite sites ran a preorder, and I counted myself lucky that this print wasn't relevant to me and bought some other pretties instead; then like 3 days after the round closed, my daughter dicovered the singer and within a week she was bugging me for a "Jojo" dress. Aargh. Fortunately, a couple of months later someone in a destash had extra they didn't need, so I was able to acquire "one yard with tail."


Having learned from past experience, I also did a line drawing of some of the patterns I was considering purchasing, so that my daughter could pick the silhouette/neckline she preferred.



Given my lack of drawing prowess (and Jojo's affinity for bows), I was a little surprised she chose the Stitch Upon A Time Aurora, but hey: I was pretty excited to try it. I think she might get her love of interesting strap configurations from me.


In terms of the PDF pattern companies I have worked with, I felt Stitch Upon a Time was solidly middle-of-the-pack. The pattern pieces went together fine, and the tutorial has some small ambiguities, but nothing I couldn't figure out by double-checking the pictures after a more careful reading. The dress turned out lovely.



I did have some trouble getting the straps not to be lumpy in the back - possibly in part because I was using custom-weight fabric, but also because getting stretch fabric not to shift as you sew over it is easier said than done. That is a minor annoyance though: overall this dress is *definitely* a make-again.


Little A loves it - for the 4th of July she declared it her "fireworks dress," and it's just as gorgeous as the Solis but with less of a time investment. Operating on a time crunch as I was (I'm assuming Jojo is pretty "of the moment"... feel free to come back and mock me in 2 years if she's the next Madonna or Britney Spears), I am sad to report I totally forgot my signature pockets.


But A doesn't seem to mind - she just loves the colors and the theme, and who *doesn't* want to feel like a rockstar in a mom-made dress?


Sing it, kid :-)


2 comments:

  1. This Grandma cannot compete with what is in. The dress is positvely gorgeous both in style and fabric choice. And you are extremely lucky (or very time managemtent savvy) to have gotten it made at the peak of her longing for it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mostly I think I was just lucky that the fabric arrived right at the right moment (literally, I think I bought it within 4 hours of it appearing on the site). But I did bust my butt to get it done once I got it! I was also lucky my last-minute-new-pattern pick was fairly supportive, and that A (and her father) were both curious enough to give me a break so I could get it made!

    ReplyDelete